State Crime Attorney
Charged With A Crime In Texas? Your Choice Of Attorney Is Important.
When people are first charged with a criminal case in Harris County or other surrounding jurisdictions, they are often in their darkest hours and in the time of their greatest need. They typically feel vulnerable and desperate, with the weight of the world on their shoulders. They are ripe to be taken advantage of and in a position to make a bad decision in hiring a criminal attorney.
Your choice of defense attorney can mean the difference between success and failure in your case, so do not rush your decision. Take your time. Do your research. Find a state crime defense attorney whose credentials show his or her commitment to the field of criminal law and who will provide you with the dedicated attention you need with your future on the line.
State Crime Defense Attorney R. Todd Bennett
At the law firm of R. Todd Bennett, P.C., my clients work directly with me — Houston-based attorney R. Todd Bennett. This means that you never get passed to a less experienced attorney and that you receive the full benefit of my decades of experience and background as a former Harris County prosecutor. I have been listed in Best Lawyers in America,* am AV Preeminent peer-review rated** through Martindale-Hubbell (the highest rating) and am board-certified in criminal law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
I want to win for you. I will vigorously defend you against such serious charges as:
- Theft charges: Theft charges run the gamut from a class B misdemeanor to a first-degree felony, determined by the value of the property allegedly stolen. I handle cases involving shoplifting (retail theft), carjacking, armed robbery and other theft cases.
- Family violence: If police officers are called to the scene of a possible domestic assault or family violence situation, arrests will typically be made, unfortunately with little or no substantive investigation. I aggressively defend clients charged with any form of domestic assault/domestic violence.
- Drug charges: Drug charges come in different forms, from simple drug possession to drug trafficking. As an experienced drug crimes lawyer, I am well-prepared to aggressively defend you, making sure the evidence obtained against you fits the charge against you or eliminating evidence confiscated without a valid search warrant.
- DWI defense: The stakes in drunk driving cases are higher than ever before. In addition to criminal court consequences, you face the suspension of your driver’s license and additional financial DUI/DWI penalties. I will poke holes in the prosecution’s evidence when defending clients against DWI-related charges.
- Assault, homicide and other violent crimes: Assault, aggravated assault, manslaughter and homicide cases require a strong defense from an experienced lawyer. I will investigate and aggressively pursue your defense options.
- Property crimes: Charges involving arson or criminal mischief can result in serious penalties, depending on the value of the property destroyed. I will investigate your case and look for defense options.
- Weapons offenses: Weapons charges, such as carrying a prohibited weapon or unlawful carrying of a weapon, should be vigorously defended against. I am prepared to defend you against weapons charges.
- Sex offenses: A sex crime, especially one involving a child, is a particularly serious criminal charge. Your reputation can be destroyed by an accusation. I will stand up for your rights.
- Criminal investigations: If you are the target of a criminal investigation but have not been charged, you might be wondering if you need a lawyer. The answer is absolutely.
- Probation violations: Anyone charged with violating probation does not have the right to a jury trial and will be subject to a revocation hearing in front of a judge. In certain situations, the person can be held without bail until a hearing.
In addition to defending you against these and all other types of criminal charges in Texas, I can help you seek expunction (also known as expungement) of past and present cases if you have been deemed not guilty. In other cases, I can help you get your criminal history sealed from public record.
Free Attorney Consultation | Serving Clients Throughout Texas
*Best Lawyers in America is one of the oldest and most respected peer review publications in the legal profession.
**AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.