Possession Of A Controlled Substance
If you are reading this, chances are that you or someone close to you has been arrested for possession of marijuana in Houston, Harris County or one of the surrounding counties such as Ft. Bend County or Montgomery County. You have probably already learned from the recent arrest for marijuana possession that the police take these charges very seriously.
In Texas, possession of marijuana is a felony or a misdemeanor depending upon the amount of marijuana at issue. Below are the punishment ranges for possession of marijuana.
- Class B misdemeanor if 2 ounces or less
- Class A misdemeanor if more than 2 ounces and less than 4 ounces
- 4th degree (state jail) felony if more than four ounces and no more than five pounds
- 3rd degree felony if more than 5 pounds and no more than 50 pounds
- 2nd degree felony if more than 50 pounds and no more than 2,000 pounds
- 1st degree felony if more than 2,000 pounds
The Texas Constitution and the United States Constitution protect you from illegal search and seizures. Just because you are accused of possession of marijuana or have been arrested for possession of marijuana does not mean that you will be convicted of the marijuana charge.
Get A Free Consultation Today
If you are looking for quality, personalized, effective representation in your marijuana possession case, contact me, R. Todd Bennett. I am a board-certified criminal attorney in Houston, Harris County, Texas.